Fancy a chance to beat your 10K time?
Then check out our list of the top 10 fastest 10K courses in the UK:
The UK’s top 10 fastest 10k road races
Below are a list of the UK’s fastest road races from 2012*. The list has been produced based on the official race timings from all 10k road races as shown on ‘www.thepowerof10.info‘ and the descriptions are based on the descriptions from the race organiser’s websites.
- The Admiral Swansea Bay 10k. 2012 winning time: 28:30 (Elite athlete)(30:21 non-elite)Seen as one of the UK’s premier road races. Incorporating a scenic route along the Swansea Bay. A flat and fast road race. The 2013 race is taking place on 22nd September.
- Trafford 10k, Manchester. 2012 winning time: 29:04 A fast and flat single lap course. Incorporating country lanes. The 2013 race took place on 10th March.
- Telford 10k. 2012 winning time: 29:08 (elite athlete) (29:51 non-elite) Based around Telford Town Park, starting from the new Town Park Visitor Centre. The 2013 race date is still TBC
- Bristol 10k. 2012 winning time: 29:16Offering a great potential for fast times, the Bristol 10k is now one of the fastest growing races of it’s kind with 11,000 runners signing up in 2012. The race starts and Finishes in Bristol’s historic Harbour side and follows a scenic sea-level route. The 2013 race will take place on 5th May
- Oxford Town and Gown 10k2012 winning time: 29:27Turn Oxford orange for a day. The Oxford Town and Gown 10k is in association with Muscular Dystrophy Campaign and is voted as one of the best road races in the UK. The race allows entrants to make their way through the closed streets of Oxford city centre. Incorporating the city’s historic sites and finishing in the university Parks. Personal bests are very achievable with a fast and flat scenic route. The 2013 race will take place on 12th May.
- Leeds Abbey Dash 10k2012 winning time: 29:30The Age UK Leeds Abbey Dash is a fantastic, fast and flat 10k increasing in popularity. The race is a great way to raise money for older people not just in Leeds, but the whole of the UK. The 2013 race will take place on 17th November.
- Chichester Priory 10k2012 winning time: 29:37A fast and flat course seeing regular winning times of sub 30:00 minutes. A race that should be a regular in any racers diary. The 2013 race took place on 3rd February.
- Salford 10k2012 winning time: 29:50The Salford Harriers and Athletics Club run the Salford 10k, offering a fast and flat course with cash prizes for the winners. The 2013 race took place on 29th March
- Cardiff 10k2012 winning time: 29:50An award winning fast and flat course, attracting first time racers through to world class athletes to the city of Cardiff. The 2013 race is taking place on 8th September
- Dewsbury 10k2012 winning time: 29:59An event not to miss, this flat winter traversal of Bradford Road. The 2013 race took place on 3rd February
* 3 additional races from Bupa would qualify as some of the fastest 10k races in the UK, they were however, contested by athletes that are/have run at an international level.
1. Bupa Great Manchester Run 10K
2012 winning time: 27:39
Join 40,000 people at Britain’s leading 10k event around a vibrant city route with live television coverage. The course also boasts IAAF Gold Label status.
The 2013 race is taking place on 26th May
2. Bupa Great Edinburgh 10k
2012 winning time: 29:23
Join 6,000 runners on a run in the heart of historic Edinburgh on a scenic urban course. Enjoy live music around the course to keep you motivated.
The 2013 race is taking place on 14th July
3. Bupa Great North 10k
2012 winning time: 29:34
Join 5,000 runners at the North East’s biggest 10k on the final day of the European Athletics Team Championships. Finish the event in the Gateshead international stadium just before Team GB take to the track. Run along the picturesque course and take in the iconic Newcastle-Gateshead Quayside. – The 2013 race is taking place on 23rd June